On Saturday, June 12th, from 10 AM – 3 PM several gardeners came out and joined fellow Islanders for a day of beautification and celebration of Roosevelt Island.
North of the RIGC gardens from 10 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. RIGC and RIOC Youth Center hosted a Compost Learning table. With RIOC's help, BigReuse soil/compost mix, and many volunteers, we planted the butterfly bed/ pocket meadow spaces in the former tree pits near the tennis courts.
The days activities included:
- Island Beautification Plantings 10 a.m .-12 p.m.
- Plogging with iDig2Learn 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Bike Repair
- Clothing Drop-off
- Free Giveaways of Masks
- Paper Shred Truck (thanks to Rebecca Seawright's office!)
- Live Music - Haki Compost 12: 00 noon Nate & Hila live
- Free Book Swap
- Picnic Table Paintings
- Battery Recycling Drop-off
- Art installation and Poetry Circle with Open Doors at Alone Together photo exhibit under the helix (2:00 p.m.)
If you were unable to attend, check out the updates on Instagram (@rooseveltislandrioc).