What You Can Do
- Plant a pollinator garden. Some gardeners are fearful of being stung by bees and would rather they were not in their gardens. Most native bees are quite different from honey bees and yellow jackets (which are not pollinators) as they rarely sting gardeners and if they do, the sting tends to be mild. In fact, there are some bees, such as the Andrenid bees, that are incapable of stinging humans because their stingers are too small and weak to penetrate their skin.
- Avoid pesticides or choose non-chemical solutions to insect problems.
- Provide a source of pesticide-free water and mud.
- Plant native plants from your ecoregion.
- Allow some small wildflowers to become part of your lawn.
- Provide nesting habitats for bees.